Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Corner View- "This is horrible!"

I find it rather ironic that this week's CV theme is, "this is horrible". This week  year has been horrible for me and my family. As some of you know, my Dad has been battling lymphoma for a little over a year now. We rejoiced after he finished his chemo; there was no activity. On Friday, September 14th, we learned what we had been fearing...that the cancer was back, and with a vengeance. Daddy, ever the fighter, insisted on trying chemo again. His oncologist was gentle with us when she told us that it was probably not going to work. She waited patiently for us to come to the same conclusion, and last Wednesday, Dad came home to wait for death to come, with Hospice to help him and Mom. Horrible is watching someone you love die a slow death. Horrible is wanting so badly to help and knowing with that sick feeling in the deep pit of your stomach that there is nothing you can do to help....except wait with him, hold his hand, offer a cool cloth, a back rub, a reminiscence and let him know through words, and touch, how much he is loved....and how much he will be missed.


I love you, Dad.


For more Corner Views, visit Francesca at Fuoriborgo.http://www.fuoriborgo.com/fuoriborgo/2012/09/corner-view-horrible.html

5 comments:

likeschocolate said...

I am so sorry! I hope the nurses can do a good job of controling his pain. My stepfather died of cance and thankfully he died in his own bed with my mother by his side in very little pain. Hope your family will be able to find peace and make the most of his last days here. Hugs from Atlanta.

Theresa said...

I am very sorry to hear about this. will keep your dad in my prayers.

Francesca said...

Really sorry Renee. Coming to the world, and leaving it are not always easy processes. There are many problems with health care in the US, but Hospice is a wonderful institution, and there's no better place to spend the last moments in this world than in your own house, with your loved ones. Thinking of you.

Amy Shelton said...

Renee, I am so sorry for your loss. I'll keep you and all your family in my prayers.

nadine paduart said...

thinking of you all.
n♥